Long Island’s north shore draws residents and tourists alike. People seeking refuge from city life and looking for a view of the quiet waters of the Long Island Sound find refuge in towns like Huntington. You can find hazards even in a small and quiet town. These unexpected hazards can far too often result in injury.
If you are injured and believe your injury was caused by someone else, you don’t have to suffer in silence. New York law gives victims of personal injuries the right to seek compensation from those who harmed them. Navigating New York laws while recovering from an injury can be challenging. Fortunately, the attorneys at TonaLaw are here to help.
The TonaLaw Difference
When you speak with a Huntington personal injury lawyer from our office, you’ll immediately understand why our firm is different from the rest. Our firm prides itself on being client-centered. This means that we understand the challenges you face after an injury. We approach each client with compassion and care, developing a relationship with our clients, and we always put the client’s needs at the center of our strategy. We also are aggressive negotiators and litigators. We will readily fight back against insurance companies who are trying to minimize our client’s claims.
Our Huntington Personal Injury Law Firm’s Practice Areas
With over 30 years of experience representing injured Long Islanders, our team has represented clients in many personal injury cases. Some of the personal injury matters we handle include the following:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents;
- Bicycle accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Accidents resulting in serious injuries, including traumatic brain injuries;
- Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare accidents;
- Bar and restaurant customer injuries;
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and Long Island Railroad (LIRR) accidents and injuries;
- Construction accidents;
- Slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents;
- Injuries sustained on governmental property; and
- Accidents resulting in death.
These are just some examples of legal issues our firm handles. Call our office to determine if we can help you with your claim.
Do I Need a Huntington Personal Injury Attorney for My Claim?
Although you aren’t legally required to hire a lawyer for a personal injury claim, there are many ways in which hiring a lawyer can benefit you. New York’s laws and procedures for personal injury claims can be complex and confusing. An experienced attorney specializing in personal injury cases, like the attorneys at TonaLaw, knows the details about these laws and processes and can apply this knowledge to your potential claim. Their knowledge of New York law can also help you avoid missing any potential filing deadlines that may apply in your case.
Even a seemingly easy matter, like filing an insurance claim after an accident, may quickly become complicated. The insurance company may present a less-than-fair settlement offer and try to pressure you into taking it. An attorney can gather evidence in your case and use the law to push back against an insurance company’s low offers. They can also take your case to court if the insurance company refuses to offer you a reasonable settlement.
What Characteristics Should I Look for in a Huntington Personal Injury Attorney?
Not every lawyer is the same. You need a compassionate and experienced Huntington personal injury attorney to take the burden of fighting for compensation off your shoulders. Some qualities you should look for in a personal injury attorney include:
- Specialization. You want an attorney who specializes in cases similar to your claim. For example, if you have a traumatic brain injury from a car accident, you’ll want someone with a successful track record representing clients in similar cases.
- Experience. Many attorneys claim to handle personal injury cases. However, you want an attorney with a track record of experience negotiating and litigating personal injury claims in Long Island. For example, our founding attorney Thomas Tona has been practicing law for 30 years and has spent over 20 years leading this Long Island personal injury practice.
- Positive Reviews. Look for a personal injury attorney with positive reviews from prior clients and colleagues. For example, the attorneys at TonaLaw have received over 300 five-star client reviews on Google. TonaLaw has also received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rated Attorney Award in 2023, which means peers and colleagues rate them with the highest level of ethical standards and client reviews.
- Accessibility. Your medical bills and other costs are likely accruing quickly. You’ll want regular updates from your attorney. You don’t want to have to hunt them down or feel like you are a bother to them.
- Compassion. Your needs will vary depending on the specific facts of your case. You need an advocate who will listen to you, pay attention to your needs, and strategize based on your best interests.
You should also look for an attorney who makes you feel comfortable and communicates with you well. The attorneys at TonaLaw work to live up to the highest quality lawyering on Long Island. If you are on Long Island, speak with a Huntington personal injury lawyer from our office to see how we meet these criteria.
How Much Compensation Can I Obtain from My Claim?
New York law requires the responsible parties to compensate personal injury victims for the injuries they cause. Thus, injury victims may be able to recover compensation for various expenses, such as:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Damage to property,
- Future loss of earning potential, and
- Pain and suffering.
You may be eligible for additional types of compensation.
Several factors impact the specific amount of compensation you may demand. These factors include:
- The severity of your injury,
- Any pre-accident conditions,
- The amount of property damage,
- Your ability to prove your case,
- Whether you contributed to the accident,
- The extent of your medical treatment, and
- Any insurance limitations.
A knowledgeable Huntington personal injury lawyer will be able to assess these and other factors for your case. They will then be able to give you a clearer estimate of your potential compensation and a reasonable settlement amount.
Deadlines for Personal Injury Claims
You may think you have plenty of time to fight for your right to compensation. However, for most personal injury claims, you only have three years from the date of the accident or injury to file your case in court. This deadline is much shorter if you need to sue a governmental entity. This is why you should contact a personal injury attorney as early as possible so that you don’t miss any legal deadlines.
TonaLaw’s Huntington Personal Injury Attorneys Are Here to Help
If you want a Huntington personal injury attorney with experience, skill, and compassion, look no further than TonaLaw. Our attorneys are fierce negotiators and superb court advocates. We fight for the best results and employ personalized strategies for each client. Our clients are the central focus of our firm.
We understand the toll an unexpected injury takes on you physically, emotionally, and financially. Fortunately, when you hire an attorney at TonaLaw for your personal injury lawsuit, you don’t have to worry about paying us up front. In personal injury cases, we only make an attorney fee if you recover some compensation. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.