Bicycle transportation is one of the most common and cost-effective means of transportation in the United States and throughout areas of New York, especially New York City and parts of Long Island.
2% of all Traffic Accidents Happen on a Bicycle
While riding a bicycle can be invigorating and energy-efficient, it can also be extremely dangerous. In the all-too-frequent event that a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, the injuries can be devastating and in the extreme, fatal. In 2011, there were 48,000 cyclists injured and 677 killed in traffic accidents across the United States. There are approximately 515,000 emergency room visits from bicycle accidents each year. In New York State, 6,076 bike accidents occurred in 2011, leading to nearly 6,000 injuries and 57 deaths.
Bicycle crash fatalities have been on the rise in the past few years. With 800 total deaths in 2012, just over two people every day of that year in the U.S. lost their lives in a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle. According to the CDC, adolescents between the ages of 15 and 24 and adults 45 and older have the highest mortality rate from bicycle accidents with automobiles. Bicycle accidents represent approximately 2% of the people killed and injured in traffic crashes in a given year.
If you or a loved one is the victim of a bicycle accident in or around Long Island, New York City, or New York State, we want to hear your story. You can work with a Long Island bicycle accident lawyer to pursue compensation for yourself from all liable parties, including any at-fault motorists.
To learn about your legal options after your bicycle accident, you can speak with an experienced bike accident attorney in Long Island for free. Schedule your no-obligation consultation today when you call 844-866-2529 (1-844-TONALAW) or contact us online today.
It’s the Law, You Have a Right to Compensation
As a cyclist or even a pedestrian, anyone struck by a vehicle in New York State is entitled to medical benefits, regardless of who caused the crash or their state of residence. You can file a personal injury claim under the driver’s third-party liability insurance policy with the help of a Long Island biking accident lawyer.
At TonaLaw, our bicycle accident attorneys handle all types of claims involving cyclists, including but not limited to:
- Motorists who back out or pull into a road in front of or in the path of a cyclist
- Motorists who fail to give cyclists enough room on the shoulder
- Motorists who cross over into the bicycle lane
- Motorists who fail to travel at a reasonable speed when passing cyclists, causing them to lose their balance and possibly swerve off the road
- Motorists who open their doors directly into the path of a visible cyclist
If you were in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of a motorist in New York, our law firm is here to represent you in the recovery of compensation rightfully owed to you under New York State law. We handle all types of bicycle accident injuries including:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Broken bones, road burns, scarring or disfigurement
- Dislocation of a joint or joints
- Brain or spinal cord trauma
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Wrongful death involving bicycle accidents
A successful personal injury claim can bring you compensation for the following types of economic and non-economic damages:
- Hospital bills, past, and future
- Other expenses related to treatment
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
What to Do If You Have Been in a Bicycle Accident in Long Island or NYC
- Evaluate your current injuries and the injuries of anyone involved in the crash
- Call for emergency medical services and a police respondent
- Document your injuries, the damage to your bicycle, the license plates of any vehicles involved, the scene of the accident, and other physical evidence. Record contact and insurance information for all drivers involved
- Speak with eyewitnesses; request a recorded statement and their contact information
- Describe your accident in detail to police officers who arrive at the scene. Ensure that your accident report is thorough, detailed, and accurate
- Receive all available emergency medical assistance once it arrives
- At the emergency room, hospital, or clinic, request a thorough medical evaluation that rules out all possible injuries given your crash scenario and your symptoms
- Save all receipts, hospital bills, and patient documentation to serve as evidence of your injuries and their costs
- Contact a bicycle accident attorney in Long Island as soon as you can to discuss your options for filing a claim against any involved motorists
- Avoid discussing your pending case with anyone, and be wary of disclosing any information to representatives of the driver’s insurance company that cannot be found on your driver’s license or on the accident report
We Will Fight for You and Your Loved Ones
Our Suffolk County-based law firm brings a diverse background to the table, allowing us to effectively and efficiently advocate for each client. We have a combined 38-year track record of uncompromising ethics! Our unrelenting litigation prosecution allows us to provide superior legal services to clients who suffer from injuries sustained while riding a bicycle throughout Long Island, New York City, and New York State.
When you work with a Long Island bicycle accident lawyer at Tona Law, you can know with confidence that your attorney will handle your case to the absolute best of their abilities. We always examine state and federal law in combination with relevant past case rulings to identify your best options for pursuing the maximum amount of compensation from all liable parties.
Your attorney will handle all of the major casework for you while still keeping you informed and empowered to make major decisions. We layout all of your legal options and advise as to the best course of action given your unique situation in light of other cases similar to it. You can also reduce your stress knowing that your lawyer will file all needed paperwork, stay on top of deadlines, and negotiate with insurers on your behalf.
As for documenting your injuries and expenses, we use the strictest standards to list all related costs so that they can be added to your requested damages. Our law firm works with medical and financial experts to estimate your future losses, as well, including your total potential earnings reduction and the future cost of treatment or long-term rehabilitation.
The TonaLaw Advantage
At TonaLaw, we are a client-first practice. Our attorneys and support staff utilize our extensive legal experience and litigation acumen to represent personal injury clients aggressively, always seeking all remedies available to our clients under the law.
TonaLaw is a no-fee law firm – We get paid when we win your case!
If you or a loved one are suffering from a bicycle accident due to the negligence of another, contact us today at (631) 780-5355 or toll-free at 1-833-TONALAW.