If you or someone you love has been injured due to someone else’s negligence, there is a legal right to compensation for the pain and mental anguish that has been caused. It may be hard to find an attorney who is looking out for your interests rather than just their own interests. At Tonalaw, we make sure the client’s interest is the top priority.
Our Riverhead personal injury attorneys give every case the attention and care needed to recover the maximum amount for our clients. We look out for what you need in the pursuit of the case. We’ve operated with these goals for over 20 years and have the results to show success.
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact Tonalaw today for a free consultation, there is no obligation.
Why do I need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Some may ask why they should hire an attorney who is going to take a portion of the amount ultimately earned in the case. The legal system in New York is busy, complex, and hard to follow, and when you file a lawsuit, it can be easy to get overwhelmed and lost in the system. A personal injury attorney can help you not just get to court but navigate the complexities of the litigation process.
By hiring an attorney, you aren’t giving away a portion of your settlement, instead, you are maximizing the amount you can earn in a lawsuit by bringing in an experienced attorney. Often times a represented client will recover more than an unrepresented plaintiff even after paying their attorney fees.
While some law firms may not be willing to handle every aspect of your case, the lawyers at Tonalaw are able to handle the entire process. Tonalaw’s attorneys know how to draft a complaint, engage in discovery, handle motion practice, represent you at depositions, and handle the trial themselves. Unlike other firms where you may meet your trial attorney for the first time at trial, with Tonalaw, the attorneys spend the entire case learning the case and getting to know your needs.
Our lawyers are well-versed in litigation and are prepared to take your case as far as you need to recover. Tonalaw doesn’t settle cases just because we want to avoid a trial, but we also don’t refuse to settle cases. We practice what our founder, Thomas Tona, refers to as surgical lawyering or lawyering that is meticulous and catered to the needs of the client in each case.
Types of Cases Tonalaw handles
At Tonalaw, we handle mainly personal injury cases, the most common of which are:
- Injuries in car accidents
- Motorcycle collision injuries
- Injuries caused by truck accidents
- Bus accident injuries
- Injuries of victims of DUI/DWI
- Injuries from a collision with an uninsured/underinsured driver
- Slip and Fall injuries
- Rideshare caused accident injuries
- Injuries from a hit-and-run accident
- Bicycle accident injuries
- Bars and nightclubs Injuries
- Neck and Back injuries
- Fractured Bones
- Construction injuries
- Municipal accidents
- Negligent security injuries
- Injuries from LIRR railroad accidents
- MTA accident injuries
- Nursing home abuse injuries
- Wrongful death
- Defective product injuries
This is not an exclusive list of all injuries. Our lawyers help clients get the compensation they deserve when they are hurt as a result of someone else’s actions every day.
Tonalaw also engages in New York No Fault collections to recover funds from the insurance companies who have wrongfully denied compensation for medical services or lost wages on behalf of both the medical providers and the injured parties in a car accident. We also handle general civil litigation where the dispute is regarding how much money is due between the parties whether it is from a breach of contract or some other cause for someone to owe you money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How long will my personal injury case take?
- We can’t say exactly how long it will take, but the process is complex and involved. New York courts are some of the busiest in the world, and the Covid-19 pandemic has changed the way the courts operate. Generally, the cases will last a minimum of a few months, however, more complex cases may last several years. At Tonalaw, we know how to keep cases moving forward and will continue to fight for your compensation.
Q. How do I know if I have a case?
- New York maintains a serious injury threshold in all personal injury cases, so without a background in personal injury, it is extremely hard for you to determine if you may have a personal injury case. However, if you continue to treat with your doctors and come into Tonalaw, we’ll help you determine if you have a case at no cost to you.
Q. Will I have to testify in court?
- Most cases today settle before the court proceedings go forward, however, some cases still require a trial. Therefore, we are unable to tell you before proceeding through the process whether you will need to testify in court. However, generally, the discovery process will include a deposition where testimony will also be taken, giving you a chance to get used to fielding questions about your case before trial, and Tonalaw’s attorneys will be with you every step of the way, getting you ready for all questions that may be asked and, if needed, getting up on the stand to testify in front of the jury.
Q. What is my personal injury case worth?
- We can’t know what your personal injury case is worth without much further research into your case, in fact, at Tonalaw, we will tell you that we can’t determine what your case is worth for at least several months. While some law firms may tell you about your “million dollar case” during the first meeting, Tonalaw’s attorneys are not like that, we make sure the information we are giving regarding your case is correct, and there is no way to determine the value of your case at the first meeting.
If you wish to schedule an appointment to visit or if you’d like to contact our Riverhead personal injury attorneys, our Riverhead location is at 20 W Main St, Ste 309 Riverhead, NY 11901 and our phone number is (631) 204-4361.
You can also speak with a Riverhead lawyer today by calling (631) 780-5355 or toll-free at 1-833-TONALAW, or contact us online to receive your free case evaluation.