Port Jefferson, located on the North Shore of Long Island, is a historic village known for its charming atmosphere and beautiful waterfront. But when you look beyond its charm, even the most beautiful towns have their hazard that can result in serious injury.
You deserve justice if someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing hurt you. You have a legal right to claim compensation from the party that harmed you under New York law. However, the law can be complex and confusing, especially when you are recovering from an injury. The attorneys at TonaLaw can guide you through the process and fight for your rights.
The TonaLaw Difference
You’ll see what sets our firm apart as soon as you talk to a personal injury lawyer from our Port Jefferson office. We care about our clients and the difficulties they face after getting hurt. We treat each client with kindness and respect, building a rapport with them, and we make their needs our priority. We also don’t back down from insurance companies who want to pay our clients less than they deserve.
Our Port Jefferson Personal Injury Law Firm’s Practice Areas
With over 30 years of experience representing injured Long Islanders, our team has represented clients in many personal injury cases. Some of the personal injury matters we handle include the following:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents;
- Bicycle accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Accidents resulting in serious injuries, including traumatic brain injuries;
- Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare accidents;
- Bar and restaurant customer injuries;
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and Long Island Railroad (LIRR) accidents and injuries;
- Construction accidents;
- Slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents;
- Injuries sustained on governmental property; and
- Accidents resulting in death.
These are just some examples of legal issues our firm handles. Call our office to determine if we can help you with your claim.
Do I Need a Port Jefferson Personal Injury Attorney for My Claim?
Hiring a lawyer for a personal injury claim is optional, but it can be advantageous. New York’s personal injury laws and processes are complex and challenging. The attorneys at TonaLaw specialize in personal injury cases and have a deep knowledge of these laws and processes. They can help you navigate your claim and avoid any pitfalls.
Even a seemingly easy matter, like filing an insurance claim after an accident, may quickly become complicated. The insurance company may present a less-than-fair settlement offer and
try to pressure you into taking it. An attorney can gather evidence in your case and use the law to push back against an insurance company’s low offers. They can also take your case to court if the insurance company refuses to offer you a reasonable settlement.
What Characteristics Should I Look for in a Port Jefferson Personal Injury Attorney?
A personal injury can turn your life upside down. That’s why you need a Port Jefferson personal injury attorney who can take care of your legal needs and fight for your rights. Not all attorneys are the same, so look for these qualities that show they are compassionate and experienced:
- Specialization. You want an attorney who specializes in cases similar to your claim. For example, if you have a traumatic brain injury from a car accident, you’ll want someone with a successful track record representing clients in similar cases.
- Experience. Many attorneys claim to handle personal injury cases. However, you want an attorney with a track record of experience negotiating and litigating personal injury claims in Long Island. For example, our founding attorney Thomas Tona has been practicing law for 30 years and has spent over 20 years leading this Long Island personal injury practice.
- Positive Reviews. Look for a personal injury attorney with positive reviews from prior clients and colleagues. For example, the attorneys at TonaLaw have received over 300 five-star client reviews on Google. TonaLaw has also received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rated Attorney Award in 2023, which means peers and colleagues rate them with the highest level of ethical standards and client reviews.
- Accessibility. Your medical bills and other costs are likely accruing quickly. You’ll want regular updates from your attorney. You don’t want to have to hunt them down or feel like you are a bother to them.
- Compassion. Your needs will vary depending on the specific facts of your case. You need an advocate who will listen to you, pay attention to your needs, and strategize based on your best interests.
Communication and comfort are key when choosing a lawyer. At TonaLaw, we work hard to deliver excellent legal advice on Long Island. Let us show you how we meet these standards by speaking with a personal injury lawyer from our Port Jefferson office.
How Much Compensation Can I Obtain from My Claim?
New York law requires the responsible parties to compensate personal injury victims for the injuries they cause. Thus, injury victims may be able to recover compensation for various expenses, such as:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Damage to property,
- Future loss of earning potential, and
- Pain and suffering.
You may be eligible for additional types of compensation. Several factors impact the specific amount of compensation you may demand. These factors include:
- The severity of your injury,
- Any pre-accident conditions,
- The amount of property damage,
- Your ability to prove your case,
- Whether you contributed to the accident,
- The extent of your medical treatment, and
- Any insurance limitations.
A skilled personal injury lawyer in Port Jefferson will examine these and other factors for your case. They will then offer you a better estimate of your potential compensation and a sensible settlement amount.
Deadlines for Personal Injury Claims
The clock is ticking on your right to compensation for your injuries. Most personal injury cases have a three-year deadline to file in court from the date of the accident or injury. You have even less time if your claim involves the government. That’s why you need to get in touch with a personal injury attorney quickly so that you don’t run out of time to pursue your legal rights.
TonaLaw’s Port Jefferson Personal Injury Attorneys Are Here to Help
At TonaLaw, we combine experience, skill, and compassion to provide outstanding legal representation for Port Jefferson personal injury victims. We are not afraid to negotiate hard or litigate aggressively for the best outcomes. We tailor our approach to each client’s unique needs and goals. Our firm puts our clients first.
An unforeseen injury can affect your health, well-being, and finances in a negative way. But you can trust the lawyers at TonaLaw to handle your personal injury claim without charging you anything in advance. We only get paid if you win some money for your damages. You can visit our office located at 10 Roosevelt Ave Suite 309, Port Jefferson, NY 11776 or Call us at (631) 204-4361 now for a no-cost assessment of your case.