T-Bone Accident on Long Island Expressway – Case Study
Injury Type: Labral Tear, Teeth Fractures, Wrist/TFCC Tear, Concussion, mild TBI, Neck, Back, and Temporomandibular Joint Injuries
Accident Type: Motor Vehicle Accident
- While driving East on the Long Island Expressway, our client was struck by a vehicle that lost control and struck the center divider before careening toward our client’s car. Our client was struck in a t-bone fashion with such force that the vehicle was caused to overturn. Our client was removed from the vehicle with the jaws of life and rushed to the nearest hospital. The primary defendant offered their full policy. However, the under-insured carrier, GEICO, would not. Starting with an offer of just $15,000.00
- Injuries: Torn labrum, Torn TFCC (Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex Tear), mild Traumatic Brain Injury (Concussion), Teeth Fractures, Dislodged Tooth, Neck Injury, Back Injury, and TMJ Pain (Temporomandibular Joint Pain)
- Eastbound Long Island Expressway between Exits 61 and 62.
- While driving East on the Long Island Expressway to enjoy the weekend, our client was t-boned by an out of control vehicle. The car our client was in was caused to overturn twice before coming to rest off the side of the expressway. Even though buckled, our client’s body was thrown about the inside of the vehicle causing severe injuries to the shoulder, wrist, head, and even teeth (several of which were fractured and one knocked out).
- In addition to getting the full $25,000.00 from the primary defendant, TonaLaw pursued the entirety of the available insurance coverage under our client’s under-insured motorist insurance policy. While GEICO initially offered $15,000.00 for our client’s injuries, we insisted on the value of the client’s injuries, and when GEICO would not concede, we took them to binding arbitration and were awarded the rest of the available insurance for injuries that the arbitrator described as “well in excess of the available coverage.”
Verdict/Settlement Amount: Settled $25,000.00 Primary Policy of Defendant; $75,000 from SUM Carrier GIECO.
Total recovery $100,000(all of the insurance monies available)
Working with Tom and his team was a true pleasure. Excellent communication, excellent results, and they always have your best interests at heart. Working with Christina in particular was a breeze. The Tona Team made every part of an arduous process easy to manage and exceptionally clear. If you happen to find yourself in need of an attorney, I would highly recommend TonaLaw.
Thomas Tona is a excellent personal injury attorney. Experienced - Knowledgeable - Ready for Battle - everything a person should have in attorney. I highly recommend Thomas Tona.
Great firm that supports our military by providing scholarships to our troops enabling them to invest in their future and earn a degree. I am one of the many service members who have applied for this wonderful opportunity and hope other businesses take it upon themselves to help our fellow brothers to attend college.